[at-l] Sugar Mtn area, NC

It's that time again.  Time for me to get out of Florida and head for the mountains.  Okay, so the purpose is to go skiing, and this year it's the "cheaper" alternative, drive to NC.  We're going to be staying on Sugar Mtn.  I wouldn't mind incorporating some hiking into the trip.  I know the AT isn't far away so I'd like to take a morning and go there at least once.  I'd like to ask you for any other recommended places to go, trails to visit, etc, AND are there any outfitters in the area.  In Boone maybe? Or anywhere else...say...<1 hr drive?  I'm looking for 1/2 day trips mostly.

Thanks in advance, for the helpful information I KNOW you're going to give!  :-)

Teresa

P.S.  Anyone in the area that wants stop by and say "hey" let me know...