[at-l] Do hiker have more hunaity? was "women's" issues

On 18 Feb 2002 at 13:45, Curtis Balls wrote:

> Someone on this list said it takes "ego" to hike the Trail. Well, yeah,
> kind of.  But then it takes some sense of ego to do most anything else too.
> I'm not sure what the poster was referring to or what his definition of
> "ego" is.  This isn't what makes hikers or thru-hikers remarkable or
> different.

I wouldn't say that ego is what defines or distinguishes
thru-hikers.  I'm not making a value judgement here.
Think of ego as self-esteem -- good stuff, in moderation.

OTOH, ego is something that I see a good deal of among
the thru-hikers I meet, and on reflection it's not surprising.

In other words, I do not find thru-hikers to be meek, gentle,
humble, submissive, apologetic, introverted, mild-mannered
wallflower types.  Most of those I've chatted with have
strongly held opinions, on all sorts of topics, and clear
notions of what they are about.  Heck, even if they're
slackers, they're proud of the fact, and will happily
explain why.

It doesn't require a strong ego to stumble through life,
watch lots of TV, or spend your days at the mall.  I will
submit, however, that it takes a healthy ego to seriously
plan a thru-hike, and then to actually follow through on
the plan -- even if it doesn't completely succeed.

rafe b.
aka terrapin