[at-l] Avoiding Fractures

In a message dated 2/18/02 11:16:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thornel@attglobal.net writes:

> Any advice to hikers re: avoiding fractures?
> >A foot fracture is a worry of mine. Long, skinny, bony feet.

    ***  As a person who suffered foot problems on his hike, I would advise
avoiding too much weight and ill-fitting boots. Stress fractures are more
likely to occur when carrying too much and pushing too hard. I haven't used a
lightweight system myself, but for those worrying about long distance hiking
injury I would wait for warmer weather and go lighter. Once you get the
through-hiking routine down you will find lightweight hiking easier to do.
There are many places to supply enroute to keep weight down. However, this
doesn't guarantee no injuries because some people are just more prone. Don't
fear asking along the way and observing. A clever hiker could tarp and
resupply often bringing his on-Trail weight way down to where injury is less
likely...

    Wow! A person who drops off the Trail injured, gets a job and lives near
the Trail, and intends to continue on when recovered, is a real AT die-hard!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---