[at-l] Snowbird Mountain

The most likley scenario for clearing Snowbird Mountain of the tree/shrub
growth around the top was to improve signal performace from the FAA tower.
Believe it or not, leaves degrade the signal.

I administered a large fleet (150+) of Nextel phones at my company and had
> some of the Nextel users lose their ability to use their phones in the
> summer months in certain locations at our site.  The Nextel tech. told me
> that leaves were the culprit-sort of like mother nature's stealth
> technology-leaves absorb the signal.  Marginal reception locations in our
> plant got wiped out in the summer.  the fix was to locate a cell tower 1/2
> mile from the plant.

The Snowbird signal was probably getting affected by the plant growth around
it.  My daughter and I hiked over Snowbird last fall.  I appreciated the
forest 'feel' just yards from the tower, but I also understand the need to
get the signal out there to the aircraft-wouldn't want a 747 plowing into the
mountainside!  Maybe the solution is to develop Snowbird as a bald, smaller
in scale, but similar to Max Patch-what a beautiful spot that is!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---