[at-l] P.S. to Shane

Ha--I just re-read my post and it sounds like a shameless plug for the La.
Hiking Club! I didn't mean for it to sound that way. It's just that I
learned a lot of what I know about hiking from the folks I've met through
the club, and we have quite a few of the books and videos available that Jim
Owen mentioned. We have several AT "dreamers" in the club right now, and
those of us who have thru-hiked (or section hiked, like our club president
who happens to be a lurker on this list!) love to have our brains picked by
them, 'cause we love to talk about the AT, share our experiences, offer
advice (and explain options), and show our trail hike pictures to whoever is
interested. :) Your friend might enjoy the camaraderie of other AT dreamers,
as well as of former thru-hikers and other hiking enthusiasts.

If he's an inexperienced hiker, the club trips would be a great way for him
to learn some skills and see/try out different types of gear, particularly
lightweight gear. We definitely have a few hard-core ultralighters in our
group!

We're having "CampFest" in early March, which is basically a Ruck for
Louisiana folks. It would be a great opportunity for him (and you!) to meet
local folks who are into long-distance hiking.

So, hopefully that doesn't sound like a shameless plug for the club. Hope
this helps!

Nina
"Waterfall"
ME-GA 2000