[at-l] Vitamins and Supplements

Instant Breakfast can be premixed with powdered milk and used as a
drink to start the morning either as you pack or as you get out of
camp. It is one of those not-so-obvious efficient and good ways to  get
a blend of calories, minerals, vitamins and protein.

There are many ways to get extra calcium. I'd encourage anyone going
out for more than 10 days to plan on calcium supplement to avoid stress
fractures and reduce muscle cramping. Any summer sausage and beef
jerkie has calcium from the stuff that gets tossed into the pot, with
cheese and powdered milk very good to use with meals or snacks. TUMS
should be part of both first aid kit or diet supplement.

Iron is of most interest to mensturating women, as men (and possibly
menopausal women) may have problems from excessive iron stores. I'd not
do iron supplements unless your physician advices you to.

Of course, all women of reproductive age should be on folate and/or B
complex supplements. Folks often overlook electrolyte replacement,
which can be done in many, many ways from GORP to Gatorade to any
numbers of means to replace sodium and pottassium along the way.

Bill...