BAD VIBES was RE: [at-l] Goings on in Erwin......

I fear that often (though not alwasy) "bad vibes" are picked up from the
locals or by conditions that are dictated by the locals.  And locals include
those who run trail-related places and those who just live in the area.  And
remember that the trail related locals have to LIVE WITH the other locals
365 days a year.

Remember also that their "community" was not created for the AT or by the
AT: At least I have not heard of any.  Most were there before the AT existed
or came about for other reasons.  If they had to depend on the AT for their
existence, they probably would not exist.  Granted some of the places in a
community depend on the AT and all its hikers (day trippers, section hikers,
thru-hikers...).  And some were probably created just because of the AT.
But the community would not dry up and blow away if the AT stopped existing.
But, the AT places might dry up and blow away if they or their patrons
create a "bad situation" in a community.

Remember its their home first and we're just visitors.

A further comment: Just because we do not create a bad situation does not
mean that we should not do something to abort a bad situation, or pour
"balms of Gilead" on the troubled waters.  In other words, be on your best
behavior, apologize even if it is not your fault, and stop a "bad situation"
if you can.

After a bad experience, we might walk on with nothing more than hurt
feelings and bad vibes.  But what about those coming after us?  And what
about us if we ever return?