[at-l] Im starting to Plan, need opinions on timeline please

On 12 Feb 2002 at 1:24, Josh Wilkins wrote:

>     Yes, don't shoot me I'm planning. I know I most likely wont stick to the plan but I need something to do in the next year or I will drive my self nuts.
>
> Amy and I are going NOBO looking at leaving March 14 and trying to hit Katahdin on Sept 14th which will be our 1 year anniversary. So my start date isn't as set as much as I want to finish on our anniversary. This puts me on a 6th month time line at 12 mile a day average. Did people find this
time too much or too little? I would rather not rush things and try to really enjoy my trip. Any opinion on weather we will be hitting with this planning? Miles a day average to hard to keep or two easy? I figure if we see were finishing to fast its always easy to take a 0 day or slow down some.

> I really had my heart set on doing July 4th at the capital but after figuring the timing I would have to really increase my average miles from July 4th on to make it to Katahdin before the trip turned way long. How have people delt with this in the past?
>
> Thanks for answers on this I will be bugging you with more planning soon..
> JTW

Your expected mileage is pretty much on par with what most folks
achieve.  But don't forget those zero days and town days.  So, if
you want a long-term average of 12 miles per day, and you're
planning to take one day off per week, then on the days when you
do walk, it'll be more like 14 miles.  If you take 2 days off per
week, then it's 16.8 miles each on the remaining five days.

Mileage will vary greatly by terrain, weather conditions and your
own physical condition, as well.

rafe b.