[at-l] Lekis And Trail Erosion (Sly)

In a message dated 2/11/02 4:02:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, Slyatpct writes:

> It's my belief, what you're seeing is caused by crampons.  Most poles land
> on either side of the trail, not side to side, where you saw the scratches.
>  As I said to Weary, you're making mountains out of molehills.
>
> As far as your accelerated erosion factor due to Lekis, just where and what
> do you mean?  With the countless numbers of hikers doing the Georgia
> section the last five years, I haven't noticed any *extra* erosion caused
> by Lekis.  If you're so gung-ho against trekking poles, I'd like you to
> point out documented specifics and not idle thoughts.  It's up to you to
> supply the burden of proof.

    *** You won't see the erosion, just like you can't see boot erosion right
away. It takes time. I didn't see the Grayson scratches on my 1986 hike
before Lekis were invented, but as a veteran maintainer I would attest to
their damage from basic physics. As far as the mountain and molehill, I'll
reserve judgment since erosion seems to be a given anyway.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---