[at-l] Lekis And Trail Erosion (Sly)

Yes, I have done some trail work, although a lot less than I'd like.  Most of
it was in building new trailbed, back breaking sidehill with a hazel hoe.
Those boys and girls on the Long Trail Patrol don't fool around and bring
their trail down to the mineral soil, leaving no loose dirt to wash away.  As
far as I can figure, newly constructed trail is a four foot path, two in the
middle to walk on (where the hard work lies) and one foot on either side,
that's cleared of brush and generally where the Lekis hit.

One of the *troubles* Lekis may cause is helping to propagate new growth
along the sides of the trail, in many areas that's wildflowers.

Sly

RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

>  I don't know if you've worked on a Trail crew before Sly, but the
> work involved in repairing and rehabilitating trailbed is intensive.
> However,
> in the greater scheme of things, protecting the Trail is the highest
> priority
> right now. Getting the Trail surrounded by a protective and secluding
> buffer
> that will preserve its vital quality is highest on the AT list. Years from
> now the trailbed can be slowly repaired mile by mile to accommodate more
> erosion-resistant designs. How Lekis will impact the fragile wispy sections
> where the Trail is a minimal track threading through virgin surroundings I
> can't say. But have no doubt that the increased impact points in the
> trailbed
> will result in greater wear. It's mathematically certain.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---