[at-l] my 31 drops...

> I think this is way too many drops for the distance covered

i don't understand what "too many drops" is.  is 20 too many?  or too few?  18?  23?  who decided what the proper amount of drops is???

why am i doing 31 drops?  because i can, and because it makes sense for me...

i have a strong knowledge of the infrastructure that surrounds the trail - i know the roads, the towns, and the businesses.  i have been a student of the trail, and it's surroundings, for many years.  i have also been involved in doing maildrops for other hikers over the last few years.  i am not a novice at this...

maildrops require a bit of planning.  i am an engineer by trade, thus i "plan" for a living.  consequently, all of my knowledge makes maildrops a no-brainer.  i am willing to adjust my hike to get my drops.  hell, i'm taking a video camera, and i'm adjusting my hike to make sure that the batteries get charged every few days.  it is "my way" of doing this hike...

hikers that buy their food as they go also have problems at times.  stores have operating hours, foods have portions not conducive to hiking, what you desire may not be available, and hikers always (always) overbuy...

so, the moral of the story is:  do what works for you...

pittsburgh

<- Original Text ->

31 drops in that distance - sure hope you are eating filet mignon and
eggs benedict every day! :) - and planning on spending half your trip
waiting for post offices and stores to open! :)  [kinda half-way
kidding; seriously, I think this is way too many drops for the distance
covered; drops impose a great deal of rigidity on your hike; some like
that kind of close planning; I came to hate it, and felt it detracted a
lot from my hike . . . I bagged many of my planned drops and went with
the "fend for yourself at local town grocey stores and various hiker
boxes (taking AND giving items)" approach . . .

hike on!

thru-thinker

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.