KILLER SUPERBUGS was RE: [at-l] pasteurization of water

You know we have had this discussion on the list more times than I can
count. Most of you remember my story about the outhouse at Peck's Corner,
those who haven't can look in the archives, it should be easy to find, I've
told it more than once.

Well I have a new story for you, one that ought to give everyone pause to
think about where that water has been...

I spend most of my time on the trail, off of the trail. No, I didn't say
that wrong,  I don't mean that I am not hiking, it's just that I am one of
those people whose job it is to figure out where the trail goes before it is
built, which means that usually, I'm NOT hiking on a trail. I put in LOTS of
miles. I'm out there most weekends tromping through woods, and swamps.

Last weekend, my hiking partner, David and I came up out of the river bottom
after about 14 miles of bushwhacking along the river. It was getting late
and we still had a mile and a quarter of unexplored territory ahead of us so
we opted for prudence and took the three mile road walk back to our vehicle
instead. Although a lot longer, it would at least half our time back to his
truck. As we circled way upstream of our intended crossing over Cypress
Creek we came upon a hunters' camp. It was located right where the road
crossed Cypress Creek and there was a strange winch contraption hanging on
the edge of the bridge.

Never having worked in a stockyard, it took a few seconds for us to
recognize what it was and why it was hanging where it was. The hunters were
hanging and cleaning their catch right over the creek. There was even a five
gallon bucket for water.

Then we saw the deer. Or what was left of it anyway, which was considerable.
Someone had skinned the deer and thrown everything but the skin INTO the
creek, where it was slowly decomposing.

Now I can't help but think about our trail crossing, not much more than a
mile below this point and the hikers who will come through here one day and
look at the clear cold spring fed water and ask themselves whether or not
they should treat or filter this water, SURELY there couldn't be anything
wrong with such crystal clear water....

The prosecution rests its case.

Lee I Joe