[at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

> Isn't hyprocisy to want other(third world)countries to destroy their enviornment to supply our gluttony for oil.  Why not use domestic oil and not be dependent on others.  Let's face it folks our society demands fossil type fuel.  Why buy it from societies that are so drastically opposed to our economic life style and religion?
> I have thought for some time that a bussel of wheat or corn should equal a barrel of oil.  The folks want to eat and we need oil to produce their food.  But it doesn't work that way so let's become as self-sufficient as we can.
> Plodder

	There's a couple of issues I think you are overlooking.

	First, there's other areas in Alaska outside the ANWR set aside for oil
exploration and drilling. Some want to drill inside the Refuge instead,
and save the others. My preference would be to extract the oil in the
areas currently set aside for drilling and use the Refuge for the
purposes it was created for.

	Second, even were we to extract oil from the ANWR, the amount, even
under optimistic estimates, would be only a fraction of current demand.
It is not possible to use only domestic oil and not be dependent upon
others; otherwise we would be doing so already.

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com