[at-l] Hiker Hints for 02'ers

On the heat sink issue, I can only speak from personal experience, and
the experiences of those with whom I hiked last spring/summer.  Metal
poles transfer heat extremely efficiently, and in cold or cooler
weather, if the ground is still frozen or cold, those poles will stay
COLD even if the ambient air temp has warmed some.  My Lekis have cork
handles, which insulate some, but eventually the cold seeps through.
The act of hiking warms you up, but using poles does not add much
additional warmth, and the blood flow to your hands is actually
constricted by both gripping a pole handle and/or using the pole
straps.  Plus, think of it this way:  If you were not using any kind of
hiking pole(s) or stick(s), and it was 10-20 degrees out, you'd probably
have your hands either in some warm mittens, and/or in the pockets of
your fleece/down jacket!  With poles, those hands are not only exposed,
but also moving through the cold air with every step . . .

That's about as close to a "scientific" answer as I can give as to why I
think "cold pole hands" are a reality.  Anectdotally, all of the people
I hiked with in the cold March/April weather agreed that our hiking
poles indeed were a significant source of cold hands . . .

Hope this info is useful!

thru-thinker