polish heat sinks..... Re: [at-l] Hiker Hints for 02'ers

### Over Christmas, my average hiking temperature was around
15-19 degrees, with wind varying from 0mph to 25mph, averaging
*maybe* 10mph. I used bamboo X-country ski poles, gripping the
bare cane for the most part, with either thick rubber-palmed
fleece mitten/gloves or with light polyprop. gloves. No straps
involved at any time. My hands were *always* cold in the
polypro, and always warm in the mittens, and in using the
fingerless glove option, only my fingertips got cold. (REAL
cold, but just the finger "pads" touching the cane.)

Hope that helps. Next time, I'll caulk some neoprene pipe
unsulation to the shafts, and wrap that tight with baseball bat
tape. Problem solved.

Sloetoe

--- Clark Wright <icw39@ncfreedom.net> wrote:
> On the heat sink issue, I can only speak from personal
> experience, ...

> Metal poles transfer heat extremely efficiently, ...
> My Lekis have cork handles, which insulate some, but
> eventually the cold seeps through.
> The act of hiking warms you up, but using poles does not add
> much additional warmth, ...

> and it was 10-20 degrees out, you'd probably
> have your hands either in some warm mittens, and/or in the
> pockets of
> your fleece/down jacket!  With poles, those hands are not only
> exposed,
> but also moving through the cold air with every step . . .

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!