[at-l] Light weight. Does it end on the trail?

> > Do you practice the same philosophy in your life outside of
> > hiking? Is your whole life lightweight? Or just the hiking part?
> > Do you think the "get light" attitude prevents items that have
> > psychic weight from accumulating while hiking? Is this a part of
> > the freedom we all seem to enjoy?
>
> Now, here is an interesting and well though out question.

Actually it looks to be 5 questions :) -- thanks.

> I don't actually
> approach hiking from a 'lighter is better' attitude, and I don't approach my
> life that way either.  I prefer the middle road.  We all have burdens to
> carry, and I think that a lot depends on the ATTITUDE that we use to carry
> it.

OK. I'm with you here, but there are always a several dimensions. A positive attitude can require energy to sustain. Anyone who's been in a failing relationship (personal/business/whatever) knows this. Most folks are going to know what if feels like to cut (what has become) that boat anchor loose. Tha sudden positive surge is (IMHO) the energy you've been using to pull the anchor.

Another dimension: Lighten the anchor and it is easier to carry.

So do you feel you cross over into that territory? (Where you use your will to maintain a positive attitude? Or do you feel a lightness of being that balances your needs and wants against what you can carry (metaphorically)?

A common example: Do you dread going to work? Do you hate Monday mornings? Do you know what it is like to earn a living working on things you enjoy?

> This reminds me of a favorite quote, "It's not the mountain that wears you
> down, but the pebble in your shoe."

Nice.

d.