[at-l] Intro and questions about kids

"...with ... kids, ages ... ages 5, and 7.  We intend to section hike our way
along the trail..."

  All my kids were on the trail by that age, even at the age of 3,  but they
  were a bit older before we attempted day after day backpacking, even with low
  miles. We tended to do overnights (three or four miles in, camp and then out.)

   We also did destination hikes. (three miles into Chimney Pond on Katahdin,
   camp for two nights, with some day hikes and then out. My youngest climbed
   Katahdin at age five (illegal then and now) But it was a three day backpack.
   Three miles into Chimney Pond, camp, 5 mile round trip to the summit, camp,
   then out.

   By age of nine we were into three and four day hikes, and as reported earlier
   I later backpacked 270 miles with a nine year old grandson.

   My advice. Be prepared for super heavy loads yourself. The kids should carry
   their own packs, but I wouldn't load them with more than clothing and a
   sleeping bag -- maybe five or six pounds total, perhaps less for the five
   year old.

   11 miles in 2.5 days strike me as the maximum that I would attempt, without
   at least a few shorter overnight hikes to see how they do. Every kid is
   different.

   Weary