[at-l] Intro and questions about kids

Hi All!

I'm a 32 yr old who has done some substantial hiking/backpacking, but
not the AT, yet.  Here's the deal.  I'm married with 3 kids, ages 3, 5,
and 7.  We intend to section hike our way along the trail until
completion over several years, when (I hope) we can take an extended
vacation and do a thru-hike.  I don't see my wife and 3 yr. old daughter
coming along for the next year or two for many of these section hikes,
especially the 2-3 day trips - her choice- but the boys and I plan on
beginning the weekend of May 18 ( my oldest's b-day).

I have run a couple of supply trips for friends who were thru-hiking,
and done several sections of the AT in the Smokies.  We will probably do
some small sections in VA in April as an entire family.  We are
gathering kids gear and getting them in shape - who am I kidding,
getting me in shape as well!  Here's where my search for advice begins.

Anyone out there done long section hikes with younger kids?

Anyone out there done the Southern Terminus trail with young'uns?

I understand it's pretty steep and I think we'll probably pick it up at
US 28 to get the kids really interested without nearly killing them.  I
don't have big goals for this Spring's trip, just from Nimblewill Gap
(USFS 28) to  Hightower Gap (USFS 42 & 69) which is about 11 miles.
That's 2.5 days for us which is a good bit of hiking for my boys.
Anybody think this is underkill or overkill?

They have decent daypacks and I will be packing most of the heavy stuff
(about 45 lbs) for this trip.  Suggestions?  Naysayers?  I'm just
looking for some feedback and assistance planning here, so if this isn't
the list, please send me some links to help get my questions answered.

Thanks!

Raymond
Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!