[at-l] Light weight. Does it end on the trail?

I do not believe that the abundance of things brings happiness. In fact,
I think just the opposite occurs. I do believe there is a balance point
at which a person has enough, so to speak. Any less and he is not
satisfied, any more and he just has to worry about his stuff. I don't
think folks who are hungry or exposed to the elements are very content,
and there is little wondering why. Recently, there was a piece in the
paper about the thriving storage build business in America. One man down
in Atlanta was interviewed who lived with his wife and one child, in a
3700 sq ft house and he says he "needs" the storage space he rents
outside his house.

I often get presents of clothing from my wife and children, Christmas,
birthdays, etc. I am careful to wear my clothes as long as I can without
them turning to rags. When the clothes are nearly worn out, I will take
them, still usable and donate them to one of several charities in our
town. I don't buy a lot of tools but these are items that will not only
last for years......generations.........they "do" something. I have a
plane that belonged to my grandfather. It has been smoothing wood for
over 100 years. I have my grandfather's framing square as well. I don't
understand jewelry. I always wear my wedding band, I have for almost 35
years. I wear a wrist watch. (Timex Indiglo, $22.95 at the Walmart)
Beyond these, I personally do not understand jewelry. I don't condemn
those who do, I just don't. I don't understand a new car every year of
so. My truck now has 312, 300+ miles on it. See? Tool "do" something!!

For me, I'm very glad that my father and mother would call us boys
together to watch the sun set with them. I'm glad we went on walks
together to just look at our small farm, to smell the aromas of the
earth. As a small child I would emulate my Dad as he would stoop to feel
freshly plowed ground in his hands, and to breath in the fragrance, the
smell of his labor as much as of dirt. I'm glad my folks were private
before the community in charitable matters but very open and pointed to
their sons. To my last day, I'll remember two things my father often said
to us children. "Don't worry about how to make ends meet, worry about
where you want them to meet." And, "If you can't be happy with little,
then you can't be happy if you own the whole world."
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.