[at-l] Costa Rican Trails

In a message dated 2/4/02 12:02:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, cjpower@usa.net
writes:

> Does anyone know of
> any organizations that try to instill proper trail maintenance/use of
> trails in developing countries. I realize that heavy trail use isn't at
> the top of the list of Costa Rica's environmental challenges, but every
> bit counts.

    I also had the pleasure to briefly visit the Costa Rican cloud forest.
The forest floor was wet all the time with a water table at the surface. They
solved this by using disc-shaped tree trunk sections for stepping stones. The
rainforest is an incredible wonder with exotic vines and bromeliads
everywhere. Toucans, howler monkeys (saw some), sloths, snakes, strange bugs,
birds, ants, and, of course, trees.

     There could be such an organization in Costa Rica, but I would suspect
it would be other than government run. That culture doesn't spend much time
in the woods for reasons other than work or survival. The best bet would be a
program run by tours and guided trips where a fund employed locals to
construct a well-drained trailbed. I also dream of a long distance Central
American Trail. This is no AT though, we're talking real adventure with
bandits who steal all your gear and leave you in the jungle, the fer de lance
which is known to be aggressive when approached too closely. Its venom rots
large areas of flesh quickly. Parasites, diseases, intestinal worms, tropical
heat, mosquitoes, etc etc etc.

    It would be great if someone could swing it, however, right now our
American long distance Trails need all the help they can get...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---