[at-l] Re: Optimum trekking pole height

Black&blue says:
"My understanding and what has worked for me is that the poles should be
tall enough, when extended, that when you hold them in front of you
(tips on the ground) your elbows are at right angles.  So the right
height, I think, is whatever the distance is from ground to your elbow
(adjusted for the height of your platform or other hiking boots).  That
works well for me on both ups and downs... "

That's what I was "taught" also at Walasi-Yi Center when I bought mine.
There was debate among the staff there over adjusting or not adjusting
for uphill vs. downhill. Personal preference rules.

After many miles (during 2nd thruhike) I began to notice the added
benefit of REALLY long poles on the steep downhills. The 53" length
amounts to about 5-6" above a right angle at the elbow for me. About the
same time, I realized that with efficient placement of the tips (trial
and error determines this), this same length works fine for helping
lever me up hills also. Ironically I found this motion/exercise
(repeated a few million times) had improved the pace of my tennis serve
when I got home.  :-)

Spur