[at-l] New Balance 1020

Sorry if someone's already answered your post, but here's a
little thingie I learned the hard way.

In comparing the NB800's (trail runner) with the NB825 (speed
trainer), I noticed that when I pushed my finger tips into the
sole, that they went in much further on the 800s than the 825s.
I WRONGLY concluded that this would mean that the 825s were
(AMAZINGLY!) stiffer/more supportive than the 800s, and chose
them to do the 50 mile run into Damascus last Trail Days.

Now, I've been around the block a time or two, and just missed
out on this bit of way-truth: it's the SHOE, NOT the SOLE, that
gives you support. The 825s are slip-lasted; the 800s are
semi-board-lasted. I LIMPED into Damascus last May, and limped
around for most of the rest of Trail Days, cuz my feetsies were
TENDERIZED by running rock trail in road shoes. My advice?
FERGITIT. Do the 804s and leave the 1020s alone. OR, at least,
check out the rest of the shoes' construction -- the 804 is a
hefty bugger, and I wouldn't run an extended road run in them
any more than I'd run rough trail in the (current model?) 828s.

Happy Trails!
Sloetoe

(Jeez, by now, you've probably already purchased, but maybe you
haven't worn 'em outside??)

--- Doug B <cruzer_m__@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone worn the New Balance 1020's on the trail?
> How do they compare with 804's?  They are currently on
> sale at Sierra trading Post.
> Thanx,
> Doug B
> cruzer_m__@yahoo.com