kids packing... Re: Re[4]: [at-l] slackpacking: opinions on it ?

More apologies for late responses -- this one's over a week
old....
--- Bob Cummings <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:
> "...I am quizzing people on packs for an 8 and 10 year old.
> What did your grandson carry?
### I ALWAYS recommend the pack my kids have carried for 4 years
and easily 500 miles.
http://www.toughtraveler.com I hope that does it: look for the
"Camper" for 5-8 year olds, and another for 7-11? The Camper is
approximately $100, 2.2 pounds, 2200 cu, and AMAZING sized as a
shrunken adult pack (which puts the weight on their hips) and
NOT as an adult day pack with kid-sized suspension (which puts
the weight in HORRIBLE places).
Otherwise, I would endorse much of what Weary wrote below:

>  I bought him one of the Kelty "adjustable" frame packs,
> designed for growing  kids. I kept it light at first, but
gradually added more weight as I tried to keep up with him.

>   I find kids like to be independent. My youngest son hiked
> into Chimney Pond, half way to the summit of Katahdin at age
three years, three months. Coming down he started to cry.
Luckily my seven year old daughter slipped and bruised her knee
at that point. So I took her pack off and gave it to the
3-year-old.
>   He never whimpered again in the three miles to the car.
>
>   My rule with kids is that they need to at least carry their
> own clothes and sleeping bag. A second rule is to never carry
them -- other than an occasional boost over a rock.

>   A third rule is to let them set the pace, even if it is
> agonizingly slow. Kids are incredibly curious. Encourage that
curiosity. I did a lot of three mile, 10 hour days,  when my
kids were growing up.

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!