[at-l] Snake Bite

You have to let a coral snake chew on a finger to get envenomation
going, and they tend to stay down toward the coast, pretty far from the
AT.

And I suspect the advice to elevate the bite is incorrect. I believe
the advice is to immobilize and keep below heart level if at all
possible, to try to reduce/delay general circulation of hemolytic
toxins. Part of the concern of a constriction band is the risk of
clotting beyond the band, adding risk to the situation on arrival to
the ER. If there hadn't been significant envenomation and a
constriction band had been applied agressively, a minor injury could
become very significant.

One way to immobilize would be to wrap the extremity in mattress pad
(inflatable or closed cell) and use duct tape to splint further with a
hiking pole or stick. That will create some general compression without
resulting in excessive compression/tournequet action.

And the Gary's examples of drunken men or curious children are the norm
for snakebite events.

Bill...