[at-l] Snake Bite

Good post, but there are a couple of additions needed.  First coral
snakes are endemic to North Carolina and other states north of Florida.
Second, while rare, coral snakes are more deadly than the other three -
and, unfortunately, are the hardest to distinguish from some harmless
cousins.  Third, the fact that constriction bands are removed in the ER
is true, but does not answer the question of whether they are worthwhile
to have in place PENDING getting to the ER!  Depending on one's on-scene
evaluation of the amount of venom injected relative to the size, age and
health of the victim, distance to be traveled, etc. - and assuming that
the "helping hands" involved know how to use the thing, a constriction
band might well be a useful thing to apply until the hospital is
reached.  If it is an extremity that is bitten, I personally would
recommend elevation of the extremity and light use of a constriction
band as a general rule . . .

now, for my confession, I'm only the son of a doctor - but I did stay at
a Holiday Inn Express last night! :)

thru-thinker