[at-l] Snake bite kits, was "Weight/Use" efficiency

> The other potential "correct answer" is a Sawyer extractor.

Somebody asked me what the definition of a good snake bite kit is, but I
couldn't remember the name until you supplied it.  The other one is the
Cutter kit with the suction cups, which is probably not very effective, but
I keep one in my scat bag anyway.

> "Snake bite kits" are still sold based on memories of a good first aid
> kit in the 1960's. These leave the risk of making an injury worse to
> manage. One would be advised to immobilize the bitten extremity, put the
> person at rest, begin treatment for shock and arrange for evacuation,
> including using Leki's for splints or stretcher carriers.

Probably good advice.  Use of the kit depends, in my opinion, on many
factors.  Time of year, type of snake, whether or not you are alone, how far
away you are from help, etc.

Obviously, if I am stepping out of my car and a snake bites me, I'm going to
get back in the car and drive to the hospital.  If I'm three days out and
alone when a snake bites me, I have little to loose...

Shane