[at-l] What about pepper spray?

>  Or pepper spray?
> Aside from all the discussion on guns, I am curious as to whether
> anyone has
> any direct experience with the pepper sprays. The message I hear is: Don't
> carry a gun unless one is prepared to use it. I only want to
> protect myself,
> not destroy the other.
> I likely wouldn't hesitate to use a spray that would temporarily disable,
> but not kill.

As a certified OC trainer, I can tell you that properly used, OC Spray can
be 100% effective.  Unfortunately, real life doesn't work that way.  I have
seen individuals who are completely immobilized by it, and others who almost
seem to like it.

I don't have any stats for bears, but there have been some studies about the
effective use of pepper spray on dogs.  Briefly, the issue comes down to
goal orientation.  If the dog attacks, and engages you and you spray him, it
is highly unlikely that he will stop - at least not until his adrenalin runs
out.  Now, once he does stop, he will feel the effects of the spray and not
return.

I haven't seen any bear studies, but I suspect the same thing.  I know that
rangers in the Rockies will use spray against wild animals that are becoming
too used to humans, and they seem to have positive results - but the animals
in question aren't attacking.

Bottom line?  It's lighter than a gun, and better than nothing, since a bear
that is simply curious is likely to be dissuaded by spray.  I would say the
same thing about spray that I would say about a gun:  Don't use it until you
really need to.

A friend of mine carries two dozen firecrackers as his bear deterrent.  He's
never used them, so I don't know if it works...

Shane