[at-l] weight/use efficiency

I guess my question for Shane is whether the incidences on the AT which
are even close to life threatening, in which a gun would prevent such
from occurring, would even be vaguely close to an efficient use of
carrying the weight.  Obviously, for me, having section hiked 1,200
miles of the AT from Springer to Port Clinton, PA so far, I don't think
so.

I haven't hiked in Alask, though, so I don't have that experience to
give me a preconceived notion of how dangerous the AT might be.  I would
defer to your judgement, however, in carrying a rifle, or whatever, in
an Alaska hike.