From: Phil Heffington [mailto:Phil.Heffington@oc.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:05 PM
To: AT- L Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: [at-l] Closest takeout point to NY City

My daughter and her husband just moved back to NYC and we were
discussing the possibility of me taking a day or two off from my section
hike this year as it passes the closest to them.

What would be the closest/most convenient takeout point to them as I
hike the AT through New York state?  I'm heading northbound.  From a
roadmap it looks like somewhere close to where the AT crosses the
Palisades Parkway south of West Point.  I can't get a feel for what the
trail looks like in that section, however, and how easy it would be to
agree on a point where a hiker could meet up with a car coming from NYC.