[at-l] "Weight/Use" efficiency

The topic of carrying a gun while hiking brings up a related question
which could be asked about many items.  What criteria do you use to
evaluate whether an item's potential use is worth the weight of carrying
it?  What items do you leave home that do not meet this criteria?

I, for example, don't take even the lightest pack saw with me.  It
doesn't meet the criteria.  I don't carry a knife that weighs more than
a couple of ounces.  I don't carry a light source that weighs more than
a very few ounces.

I do carry a Whisperlite stove & accessories.  I don't carry a two inch
thick Thermarest mattress.  I do carry a PUR Hiker water filter.  I
don't carry an ax.

On a weight to use criteria, which would be more likely to be an
efficient protection, a knee brace or a gun?

I know some hikers use the criteria of whether or not an item is used
daily to determine whether or not they leave it home.  I carry some
first aid items that certainly wouldn't meet that criteria.  What is
your formula for such decisions?