[at-l] Maine Rose; and dogs

We have wonderful memories of Maine Rose.  We first met her at the annual
ATC meeting at Radford 2 years before we did our Thru-hike.  We knew little
or nothing about hiking or the AT.  I signed Millie/Sweet Pea up for the
Woman's Issues talk.  She was a little reluctant to go so I went with her
(took her might be more accurate) and was one of two men in the room of
several dozen women.  As I said, "Trust me, I'm a doctor," and Rosie loved
that.  She seemed to have no problems as she discussed much more than all
the important issues for women on the trail.  There was not a person in the
room who was not impressed with her knowledge and enthusiasm.  She was the
perfect person for the "we think we want to do this, are not sure what it
is, and need to hear from some woman about it kind of talk."  I'll never
forget her elbows and knees demonstration (at my urging) of how to urinate
in a Ziploc in a tent-a skill Millie decided was best left with Rosie!   It
was a most informative, jovial, motivational and passionate trail talk for
any gender.  Her profession was teaching, and she proved great skill that
day.  I know Rosie's talk was important in the success of both of us on the
trail.  Before she heard Rosie talk, Sweet Pea was certain she could not do
the AT, but hearing Rosie, she was comfortable enough to give it a try-all
the way to Katahdin.
We also attended a "Hiking Stick Building Class for Kids" that Rose
conducted at that same meeting.  We took our 6-year-old grandson.  Rosie
again was a master teacher as she had all kinds of props to make a hiking
stick from 1-inch dowel she brought along.  Six or eight kids were
enthralled.  Our grand son still talks about that experience and still has
the stick all decorated with Rosie's help with feathers, beads, yarn,
string, leather, paper, glue, etc.  And during the workshop she told a
wonderful story about the hiking stick she found on the trail.
At Radford she outlined to us great respect for Wing Foot and her work with
the Women's List on ATML and her editing of the Woman's Book, which we think
we paid for but never received.  She later told us (at ALDHA-Dartmouth) of
her great disappointment of a falling out with WF and the fact that he did
not publish the book.  I don't know what went on with all of that, but our
associations with Maine Rose will always be a great memory for us and we are
better off for it.  She was a great representative of the trail.
I find it interesting that we have read negative reports on this list about
many people recently that we feel are friends and great educators or
ambassadors or information sources for the trail.  We are personally friends
with the following:  Baltimore Jack, Jim Owen, Sly, Kahley, Pittsburgh,
Warren Doyle, David Horton, and Solar Bear to name a few.  We even sat on
the porch and talked for an hour with (well, listened to!) Wing Foot (thanks
to our buddy Sly) during our hike and are glad we did.  What's wrong with
us?

P.S:  Before you think I'm perfect (like Felix), I don't want to see, hear
or smell your dog anywhere.  Leave the mutt in your house.  If I lick your
wife's leg I go to jail.  When Sly and I snore (bark) in the shelter all
night, you throw us out.  Why is the mutt given those rights?

Bear Bag GA>ME, 2000, with Sweet Pea
Check our journal and 400 pictures: http://www.800WeSweat.com

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!