[at-l] REI Subkilo sleeping bag... Comments?

Mike I don't know that bag, but in general down bags are a lot easier
to care for than many expect. You can ruin a down bag with certain
water proofing techniques, as you have to allow vapor through the bag.

No bag will stay perfectly dry in a storm that blows rain or snow into
the shelter. If that occurs, you may have to improvise by getting into
a bivy/tent or erect a tarp shield across the shelter opening. Using a
garbage sack to protect the bag from weather in you backpack is pretty
routine. Some will put a small grocery bag loosely over the foot of a
down bag to protect from condensation or spray.

This is the last weekend of January. I hope you live somewhere cold and
wet today, and can test your new purchase before you try improving on
it. Before you do anything, check with REI and the info that came with
the bag. For $170 on sale, I'd expect the shell is a bit more weather
resistant than you thing.

Bill...