[at-l] Roks, Roots, and other inconvenciences..

In a message dated 1/18/02 4:04:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
baltimorejack@hotmail.com writes:

> .  One DOES not have
> the right to say whatever one wishes, wherever one wishes.  One usually
> tempers one's speech with tact, diplomacy, decency, and common sense.

    ***  Yes of course, but there is also a palpable degree of latitude both
on the Trail and in the Trail universe I prefer to have reflected at any
Trail venue. I'm sure Warren assumes a certain Trail license on these
grounds. If you don't want to discuss that is up to you. Maybe you should at
least be informed. Wildman come down from the hills -you know...

>      3. I see that you acknowledge that you weren't in the audience to
> personally witness the events in question

    ***   Whoa Jack! Slow down. I provided that up front and disclaimed the
fact that I was speaking in a general apology from my knowledge of Warren and
his ways. Take it easy here, you seem to feel that I'm contradicting your
version or calling you a liar. I was simply trying to explain Warren's odd
way of expressing otherwise esoteric or even inspirationally imaginative
concepts. He connects those to the Trail in a weird sort of mystical
theatricality that could look goofy to those who don't detect it (I'm not
saying it's above you or you're clamping your national ass cheeks so tightly
that it's shutting off your brain).
       BJack, although I must defer to your being there and my not, I would
be remiss to not say that I feel an equally misplaced over-seriousness (in
light of both the Trail's and Warren's understood tone) has overtaken the old
atmosphere of mischievous liberty I always found on the Trail. Sad to see the
Gathering has lost this.

>     4.  You complete your letter with the extraordinary comment:  "BJack,
> don't burn the stage because you were offended by the play....."
>         Ya know, Roks, once upon a time I reviewed theater and film, and
> the
> absolute CARDINAL, unforgivable sin was to attempt to review a theatrical
> or cinematic work that the reviewer hadn't actually seen.  Writers tried
> this, of course, usually, with dire results:  They made fools out of
> themselves in print, and frequently lost their jobs.

   ***  You are unfair. I specifically admitted that he may have gone too
far. I think you understood my attempt at mitigating this incident from the
outside. As a matter of fact, I feel you understood it so well that you
resorted to these convenient detours of the gist of my points in order to
disqualify me before you had to acknowledge them. Again, I didn't hear
exactly what he said, but the form of this particular action conforms to a
"killing the messenger" profile. Before I hear the predictable responses -NO
I don't back Al-Qaeda or subtly approve of what they did. Murder is murder
and is always damned. It's just that Warren pushes the envelope of
conventional understanding and tests the bounds. He does that (as I see it)
to blow out preconceptions on all levels, attaching it to the AT experience
so to speak. I suggest if Warren misjudged something it was probably the
willingness of some in the crowd to run him off the stage before absorbing
what he was saying the way he intended. Yes, I know I wasn't there, but I
feel like I am now...

  In short, Roks, please
> give some thought to further discussion of this, but at the very least, it's
> more than a little amusing to see you admonishing me about burning the
> stage
> when you yourself were not privy to the performance.

     *** Your writings are very intelligent BJack. I'm surprised that you
don't understand the concept of *diplomacy*. It's where an uninvolved party
comes in to try and assist in the defusing of a troubling situation. Let's
just say from what I know of Warren, ALDHA, the AT -and even yourself I have
a pretty good idea.

<Final note, R&R.  You have the habit of making provocative posts,
<repeated ad nauseum, that invariably involve your vainly trying to hammer
<away at points that others either don't see, don't agree with, or simply
<don't wish to further discuss.  Please don't take it personally if I do not
<continue this dialogue

    ***   Ah BJack, really I'd rather have you as a friend [if not for
self-preservation alone ;) ]  But really, I'm hurt by this because it's an
unprovoked and uncalled for side-slam. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like you
did it not because my opinions were so outrageous that they flared your
disgust, but because I spoke my mind. Sort of like opening up your vulnerable
inside while taking a risk with much-needed challenging views and getting
socked in the ego as a reward.
     When I came onto the AT internet I was thrilled because it looked like
the chance to rally & organize the 'mystique' and heartfelt love of the AT
was finally available. My picture of the Trail community was one where such a
cause and necessary accompanying commitment would be automatically gathered
and certain questions would not have to be asked. What I actually ended up
encountering was a rote intransigence and entrenched dislike for the
progressive, unconventional thinking necessary to properly conceive of what
is basically a vast conservation experiment (the AT). I'm dismayed by what I
see to be a collapsing of the elevating spirit which originally lifted the
entire project into being. Frankly, the tone is more of a parliament floor
debate or political forum where a pol has exposed himself to public rebuke.
Like a bunch of snooty stiffs launching a political attack rather than a
"Trail Conference".
      BJack, in my life I credit myself with a modicum of wisdom and
experience. What those senses are telling me, from your response, is that
maybe my points hit home. Like Jim, either my opinions are not worth
responding to, or they perhaps bear some truth. One thing that always makes
you suspect though, is persons who preemptively excuse themselves from
answering. At minimum it leaves the impression that one is better off not or
incapable. Forgive me if I'm presumptuous or in the wrong...

     Now let's wind this down so I don't take more boardspace than is my
share...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---