[at-l] What got you into hiking and camping?

Mom and Dad. When I was a wee kiddie, they dragged me along as they wandered
the forest trails of northern NJ, including (gasp!) the Appalachian Trail on
Bearfort Mountain and Waywayanda Mountain. I haven't been back to those
locales since, but we did state parks and such as a regular part of our
travels, so I learned from early on that wandering through the woods was a
good thing. That, and when I was <12, I used to play in the woods all the
time, clambering up rocks and trees and the like. Dad bought us an Army
surplus tent to camp out in the back yard on cots, but I never backpacked or
camped for real until I met folks from AT-L.  ;-)

Cheers, Navigator