[at-l] This 'n that.....

At 07:50 PM 1/18/02 -0500, Felix wrote:
>"May we observe a moment of silence for Don West, friend of ALDHA, who passed
>away? Thank you."  Wow, that works.

Amen.

If Warren felt compelled to read some of Mr. West's poetry in tribute, why
not a poem that was not inflammatory and hurtful to many present. How about
"Funeral Notes" <http://www.aldha.org/donwest3.htm>.  That would have
suited both as a tribute to Mr. West and been appropriate to the
situation.  It seems that the poem chosen was a deliberate statement in
reference to the events of 9/11 despite the disclaimer by Warren that the
words were not his.  It was an insensitive and foolish act.  I see no
courage in that, only callus indifference to the mood of the Gathering.

As I said before, this was my first gathering.  Before that night I held
Warren Doyle in high regard based on what I had read of him.  Sitting there
that night,  I first wondered what I had gotten into, coming into a group
that shared this hatred of our country.  As it quickly became evident that
others were equally uncomfortable I began to wonder what sort of fellow
would deliberately offend fellow hikers in this fashion.  Attending his
lecture on thru-hiking I concluded that Warren is a person of high passion
who apparently lacks the self control to temper his opinions with
sensitivity to the feelings of others.

I wish Warren no ill.  I respect his contributions to the AT and ALDHA but
his tirade was wrong.  It was neither the time or place and his lack of
judgment should bar him from future opportunities to do the same.  It was
certainly nothing to be applauded and I did not.

sAunTerer