[at-l] This 'n that.....

I concur with Baltimore Jack's and Mara's descriptions of what
occurred at the Gathering.  Further, I applaud BJ for his response
to Warren's affrontery. (I'd forgotten that it was BJ who had done
that -- and asI recollect, he hissed loudly first [got everyone's
attention] and then fiercely sneered, "Shame!" in such an effective
way that it is hard for me to believe that anyone had any doubts
as to his sincerity.) Bravo.

	Per Mara (snipped)
	>> For anyone [new] it would have made me
	extremely uncomfortable.....  I would hope ...[they'd]
	realize that the majority of the people in that room
	were just as uncomfortable and .... [that Warren's
	diatribe] was not...appropriate or representative by
	anyone but Warren.  >>

My  view on this is that it was patently obvious to e veryone present that the
vast majority of the attendees were uncomfortable and dare I say, outraged?,
by his behavior. There is no doubt in my mind that those present were acutely
aware that he was NOT representing ALDA  then.  (It may however call into
question just *why* ALDA tolerates his behavior. My guess is that this situation
will change for the future. It was no surprise to me that Warren was NOT elected
to be on the ALDA Board of Members at Large when the elections came round. I
wonder if he got *any* votes!?)

	Mara also suggested: (snipped)
	>While ALDHA may have traditionally given Warren
	the podium because of his historical connection with
	ALDHA, I think that time is now past.  Let him run the
	dance.... [etc], but only when attendance at his events
	is a choice amongst others.>

I'd take this a step further and say he shouldn't be leading the dance, either!
He had more than a few people upset by his behavior there, too. It was
supposed to be a *fun* event -- it felt like a militant "do it right, or else" drill
to some. Sure, it's an "elective" thing to go to the Contra dance, but sheesh,
one would expect that it would be a carefree and lighthearted event. I know
if he's gonna lead another, there are many who will opt not to go to it --
count *me* in that group!

Well. That was my "initiation" to both the ALDA Gathering and to Warren Doyle.
A respective "thumb UP" and another "thumb DOWN - waaaaay down"
from me. Fortunately, the good (good people, good place, good vibes, good
schedule, good planning, etc.) by far outweighed the bad. Until Mother Nature's
Son posed the question (and I later read the overview in the ALDA Newsletter),
I'd completely forgotten about the incident (and Warren).

Ready