[at-l] This 'n that.....

What Baltimore Jack wrote about the Warren at the Gathering is about how I
remember it.  But, I sat through it and didn't leave the room.  There were
quite a few boos at the end, mostly a lot of very stony silence, and a
smattering of applause which sounded half-hearted at best (by people likely
not really paying attention is my guess).

While I in no way thought that Warren was representing ALDHA with his
readings, that was primarily because I've been in the community for a while
and know better (both of ALDHA on the positive side, and Warren on the
negative).  For anyone coming in without any other sort of connection (or a
very new connection) with the long-distance hiking community, it would have
made me extremely uncomfortable about the type of people who ALDHA would
choose to have represent them.  I would hope that it wouldn't take long,
however, for them to realize that the majority of the people in that room
were just as uncomfortable and to also realize that Warren's readings
subsequent diatribe were not considered appropriate or representative by
anyone but Warren.  Just the reaction of the people around them should be
enough for that and if not, a few questions to a couple of random other
people should have been enough.

While ALDHA may have traditionally given Warren the podium because of his
historical connection with ALDHA, I think that time is now past.  Let him
run the dance if he so chooses and the trivia games or other talks, but only
when attendance at his events is a choice amongst others.

I had intended to write to the ALDHA board members but just hadn't gotten
around to it yet.  Those board members who are on this list may feel free to
share this with those for whom this would be a concern.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99