[at-l] Warren's remarks at ALDHA

Baltimore Jack described what happened pretty well.

The general consensus was that whatever your political
leanings me be, a polemic at the opening ceremonies
were inapropriate. As Jack pointed out, for many
people this was their first Gathering. Makes for an
interesting first impression.

If the same type of remarks were made at my first
Gathering, I would think ALDHA is a very political
oriented organization whose main focus is not on long
distance hiking. When you have dreams of doing the AT,
hearing about "sad,sad America", followed by a chorus
of boos does exactly get you all fired up for hiking
for five-seven months.

If ALDHA is a gathering of the hiker family, then
Warren's remarks were the family argument just before
the turkey was carved at Thanksgiving dinner.

=====