[at-l] North Carolina Protects Endangered Plants

NORTH CAROLINA PRESERVE PROTECTS ENDANGERED PLANTSCHARLOTTE, North Carolina,
January 15, 2002 (ENS) - Another 239 acres of the Tater Hill Lake Basin in
North Carolina have been permanently protected by the Trust for Public Land
as part of an ongoing effort to preserve this entire rare highland bog
ecosystem. The lake basin has been a state preservation priority since the
1980's, when it was first threatened with development. The basin lies at the
headwaters of the New River in the Amphibolite Mountains, providing unique
wetland habitat for two endangered plant species, the long stalked holly and
Gray's lily, and two species considered endangered in the state of North
Carolina, the linear leaf willow-herb and swamp saxifrage. The land will be
added to an ecological research preserve created last year when the Trust for
Public Land (TPL) purchased 158 acres now managed by Appalachian State
University. TPL partnered with the Plant Conservation Program of the North
Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to buy the 239 acre
tract from the Replogle family. The family has now sold two properties in the
Tater Hill Lake Basin to TPL. "The Plant Conservation Program appreciates the
work of TPL and is glad to be a partner on this project to protect these
unique plants and their habitat," said Hollis Wild, chair of the Plant
Conservation Program Board. The North Carolina Natural Heritage Trust Fund
provided funding for the protection of the property. Studies being conducted
at the Tater Hill preserve include: analysis of plant and bird life, research
into historic patterns of forestation, and excavation of Native American and
early European settlements. A study of the reptile and amphibian populations
is also planned, as is a complete survey of the property. "We were delighted
that the Replogle family chose to work with TPL again to protect this unique
part of our state's natural heritage," said TPL project manager Maggie
Clancy. "We look forward to a long partnership with them as we continue our
work in the Amphibolite range." Tater Hill lies at the southernmost end of
the Amphibolite Mountains, which are the focus of a comprehensive
conservation effort among the Trust for Public Land, The Nature Conservancy,
and local conservation organizations, including the High Country Conservancy.
The conservation groups are working to acquire land along the full length of
the corridor and create a protected area of several thousand acres.
* * *
<A HREF="http://ens-news.com/ens/jan2002/2002L-01-15-09.html";>Environment News Service: AmeriScan: January 15, 2002</A>

multipart/alternative
  text/html