[at-l] 4-season trick (was Nomad in the Snow)

In the past, I've used a lightweight tarp to stretch a tent's "season" to winter. I have a Mantis - a 4 lb 2 person free standing tent with a vestibule. We would pitch the tent, then do an A-frame pitch of the tarp over us (12' x 15' I think). It gave us a better snow profile,
a greater "dead space" for insulation, and usually an extra spot to store gear.   Of course, not much good above the tree line, but even boulders can be a good pitch point.

Has anyone else done this? What other tricks do people have.

Squirrelgirl