[at-l] Racism on or around the AT

I reckun I shuld wade in heah and opine that us suthern boyz kinda got
tew shake in the kneez when we hit that mason-dixon sign and couldn't
find no suthern, sweet tea no mo!  :)

Seriously, was it my imagination or did it get harder to get a hitch
once I got north of Virginia?  I joked all the time with the guy I was
hiking with, who was from Long Island, that I would do all the talking
south of the Mason-Dixon line, and he would handle things after that!
(grin!)  I believe people everywhere were generous and helpful, almost
to a fault.  hiking the AT reaffirmed my faith in humanity - no small
feat these days. On the 9/11 discussion thread, to me the long term
effects [watch that "effect" vs "affect" useage, now!] are not yet
known, but the primary one may well be on how people do or do not alter
their inherent view of their fellow travelers here on earth . . .
hopefully, we will not give up too many of our liberties in a fruitless
search for external security measures to protect us from ourselves;
hopefully, we will not distrust too much others that look different from
us, but at the same time have the courage to admit that we are a bit
scared, and then try to deal with it as best we can; and hopefully, in
the end, we will remember more about courage, charity, crying and faith
than about fire, flames, jails, war and distrust . . . time will tell,
but we all have the chance to make a difference there in that most
private of all places, our own mind and soul.

hike on!

thru-thinker