[at-l] nickname-very OT

Ok, I have sat thru this long enuf...time to put it to rest...here is the
official position of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on
the practice of polygamy, as stated by President Gordon B. Hinckley,
President of the Church, given in a worldwide church address in November
1998:

* What is the Church’s position on polygamy?

We are faced these days with many newspaper articles on this subject.
This has arisen out of a case of alleged child abuse on the part of some
of those practicing plural marriage.

I wish to state categorically that this Church has nothing whatever to do
with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. Most
of them have never been members. They are in violation of the civil law.
They know they are in violation of the law. They are subject to its
penalties. The Church, of course, has no jurisdiction whatever in this
matter.

If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they
are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not
only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are
in violation of the law of this Church. An article of our faith is
binding upon us. It states, “We believe in being subject to kings,
presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining
the law” (A of F 1:12). One cannot obey the law and disobey the law at
the same time.

There is no such thing as a “Mormon Fundamentalist.” It is a
contradiction to use the two words together.

More than a century ago the practice of plural marriage was discontinued.
Even in countries where civil or religious law allows polygamy, the
Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into
its membership those practicing plural marriage.

Any other questions??? Feel free to email me *off-list*.

dee
monadnockdee@juno.com