Re[3]: [at-l] "The Trail Isn't Really Wilderness Anyway..."

 "...Where's the ATC in all this - they have software that should be capable of
a simulation that would  show pretty accurately what the view of those towers
would be from anyplace  on the Trail," asks Jim.

I spent two hours yesterday morning with ATC's New England representative, MATC,
and AMC people, talking with the regulatory agency that must make the decision.
I've spent numerous hours -- all the time they would allot -- with Maine
environmental groups trying to stimulate their interest.

"... why has nobody done an independent evaluation?  Until that's done, everyone
involved (both sides) is blowin' smoke," Jim adds.

I doubt if anyone is blowin smoke. Jim, with your technical background, do you
know any way to disguise 28 450-foot structures so they won't impact the view
shed on two mountains of the same height, located between 1,500 yards and three
miles a part, both with either zero forest cover or only scrub firs. Since the
vegetation averages around 30-40 feet high, I think one way is to look at
similar large objects from similar distances, which I did in describing a power
plant stack, a church steeple and a light house.

Part of the problem is the application hasn't been filed and the developer says
he hasn't decided whether to use 80 meter towers or 100 meter towers.

Jim adds, "One more question - who's done, doing or will do the analysis to
determine noise levels?  Also what's the nearest developed area - and who's
doing the noise level analysis for that area?"

This is a pretty remote area. I doubt if noise will be an issue -- other than
possibly from the summits of Crocker. Certainly all the private developments are
much further away than the AT.

"So," asks Jim. " -- do you want to contact ATC - or do you want me to do it?"

As noted above, ATC already knows about what's happening. Unfortunately, ATC has
severe budget problems -- as does MATC. That's why a few of us are making the
rounds to try to drum up some interest from other environmental groups. What we
need is someone with multi thousands of dollars who will finance the lawyers and
scientists needed to counteract the thousands the developer has spent and will
spend.

Once the application is filed, we will have firm data to review. I've been
assured that ATC will do its own photo simulation studies. Though in my limited
experience this degenerates into a "he said, she said" debate and has little
impacts on the outcomes of these battles. I certainly will attempt to show
slides of similar-sized objects from similar distances at the hearing.

Any help you or others can offer with these technical matters is badly needed.
ATC and MATC would also welcome any spare cash anyone may have to continue the
battle. E-mail me and I'll put you in touch with the pertinent folks.

Weary

Bob