[at-l] Creation of the AT [Offensive]

In a message dated 1/10/02 8:36:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> Hmmm... If it's a damnable offense to say McKay wasn't a god then... ?

    *** You left out the part where I asked you to try and relate some of the
deeper aspects I described in MacKaye's natural preservation philosophy in
relation to the AT. It's called *metaphor*, Sauntee, and its definition is
available in the dictionary. Somehow this has been reduced to MacKaye's
supernatural status. I'm left with the feeling that some may not completely
understand him. At least Chainsaw sees a positive side to knowing it...

    Look, sometimes I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to having
one on others. In no way am I trying to make a case against AT-L and be its
online challenger. Heck, I like to hike and camp out; would probably enjoy
the Ruck, and maybe even make some long-term hiking friends in the process. I
just have a problem with people who take aires against you on a list because
you don't meet their 'friendly' expectations; who then do their best to shun
you and ridicule your posts, accuse you of flame baiting and "trolling", take
haughty and pompous exception to what is basically ordinary discussion; who,
when confronted with the Trail's reason for being and birthright, react by
bouncing mocking posts back and forth and telling you your not worth
answering. That seems a little antisocial to me. Maybe I'm asking too much
for this venue, but the tone I'm struck with from its active members is one
of tolerated contempt and adolescent mind games. It sort of reminds me of the
Hell's Angels movie with Marlon Brando where the town is beset by a
motorcycle gang. Oh, there I go again, thin-skinned and humorless me
attacking AT-L. Didn't mean to. I really wanted to expand a conversation on
why MacKaye is still very much relevant on the path both today and beyond.
Somehow this has transformed into a classic art topic.
    Perhaps a wise-ass college dorm atmosphere isn't the best place to spill
this. I guess long brown path politics will always be a sexier hunt than dry,
boring old Trail dogma...

        - Rocks 'n Roots

multipart/alternative
  text/html