sleeping in the trail... Re: [at-l] Best Tent for Tru-Hike? ['03]

--- MrsGorp@aol.com wrote:
> 1. The trail was designed for foot travel, not as your bed for
> the evening.
### So? Sleeping on the trail is going to *harm* it?
### I've taught my kids that there are two places to sleep to
minimize the impact of their night's stay: rock, and hardened
ground (potentialy like the footbed of the trail they might be
traveling). *Any* other option will take them off the trail --
this means stepping upon the plants that line the trail and
fight the biggest battle with erosion, as well as through the
understory that will gladly mark their passage with ruffled
leaves, broken limbs, and stripped campsites as all who follow
police away the offending (now) deadwood.

> 2. I might step on your big fat head as I come walking along
> doing my night hiking thang, not that it would hurt your thick
skull.
### Bzzzt. What makes you think *your* night hiking thang ends
before *my* night hiking thang? Not even the SmallBoys(c) have
been passed "in camp" when sleeping in imaginative locations.
But why should we be? We've eaten dinner (perhaps hours)
beforehand, and are (probably) on our way to breakfast at a
watersource somewhere up ahead. And besides, you'd just love the
opportunity to rearrange my big fat head and my chicken leggs,
and you know it. Why complain?

> 3. I not 100% positive, but it may even be a misdemeanor to
> sleep on the AT trailbed. Anybody know the answer to this
third one?
### Hmmmm. Well, if it's not now, throw the idea around some,
and it soon will be. LNT be damned.

Restfully,
Sloetoe

=====