[at-l] sports

Before we define extreme sport, I think it's important to first define
"sport".  I've often had this conversation with my friends, because I'm
convinced that most of what we colloquially refer to as sport is not, in
fact, sport.

A sport, to me, has four components:
1) Objective scoring.  This takes out gymnastics, diving (unless we
weight certain dives, and then have some objective mechanism for
measuring splash), dance, etc.

2) Competition.

3) Athletic skill.  This takes out things like chess, kickball (it's a
game, not a sport)

4) A certain degree (how much is yet to be determined) of inherent
personal risk.

So, hiking, parachuting, snowboarding, skiing are not sports.  They are,
in my world, extreme athletic endeavors.

Cleek
--
The opposite of paranoia: The absurd belief that one is NOT being persecuted.