[at-l] Cold Questions

At 09:19 PM 1/5/02 -0500, David wrote:
>...clip...
>A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away I read a story about a
>Russian anthropological discovery of a group of people who lived
>practically naked somewhere in Siberia, showing an impervious attitude to
>cold weather which tended to frighten the more civilized anthropologist .
>. . The point of the essay or article or whatever had to do with the
>ability of the human body to deal with extreme cold with "training" . . .

This reminded me of a tale my wife's grandfather was fond of telling.  The
area I live in was one of the last in the state to be settled by white
folks so when I was younger the old timers could still remember Native
Americans living in the traditional way.  He told of being in a country
store where the white men were huddled around the wood stove on a cold day
when one of the local natives came in dressed only on light buckskins.  A
white man got up the nerve to ask him how come he wasn't cold in such light
attire.  The Native responded with a question of his own "Is your face
cold?".  "No" admitted the white man.  "Well, I have face all over" said
the Native.

sAunTerer

multipart/alternative
  text/html