[at-l] warming up after hiking - lessons learned (long)

This has been a very interesting exercise for me.  And it was just that.  An
*experiment* to test how wearing goretex while hiking might work for me.  It
was a test in a controlled environment (never farther than 50 yards from
people) mostly on well-used greenway trails, all in town.

I had never tried to hike with goretex and just basically wanted to see how my
body handled it.  I probably wouldn't use it unless I was cold, because I'd
rather normally be  just wet from the weather than wet from sweat  - I do hike
in the rain! LOL  Since I've been loaned this nice goretex, I thought I should
know how to use it if I do get to go on a *real* hike.

All my essentials and survival stuff, excess water and snacks, and alternative
clothing were carried.  The object was to *learn* how to the vent goretex, if I
couldn't vent it enough to stay cool (dry-ish) while hiking even when it was
this cold, or if I needed more than goretex at these temps.  I've been taking
advantage of our cold weather to do several of these types of tests.

I tried to do many things the same as I would on the trail, but I took
advantage of my safety net and neglected SOP for a few.  Like - in the woods, I
would have stopped and put on a layer as soon as I felt cold.  But didn't,
being 3/4 mile from my apartment.

I did do the things that keep my blood sugar up - ate before I left, stopped
for two snacks with water (one hot) both with carbs and protein, and stopped
3-4 other times just to drink some water.  I do think I was low on water
yesterday - wasn't *pushing* it like I usually do when I hike or do anything to
excess.  Not enough that I was thirsty, but I wasn't as *loaded* with water as
I usually am.

I think I was probably *perfect* for the first half of the hike.  It was mostly
trail, mostly up hill, and the temps were mostly above freezing.  When I too my
mid-way break, (hot cider, skin-on fried in hot cheddar sauce), I had to take
off toboggan, gloves and the goretex jacket to keep from getting hot *inside.*
I checked me and the jacket for any moisture and found none.

When I went back out, I was more on sidewalks and more downhill, although
that's a relative term in 8" of snow! LOL  (I didn't want to take the trail
back home after dark in icy conditions!)  Some of the walking was fairly easy
and some was definitely plodding through snow (work).  I was well over 3/4 of
the way home before I started to feel *cold* at all.  Up until that last 3/4
mile I felt great, but in that part I was *ready* to be home.  This normally
happens to me in the last 10-15% of a hike, in fact I gauge how successfully I
have matched my abilities by where I get tired - and aim for this.

And I was so concerned to be *vented* that I never did zip up my pit zips and
leg zips, even after I felt cold.  Now I'm thinking that should have been a
first step, if, for some reason, putting on another layer was not an option.

When I came in the apartment and hit what felt like a *wall* of heat (actually
only 65*) it shows, I expect, how cold I was.  I see now that that was my clue
- that I was genuinely chilled and needed to *treat* myself for it.  Since I
wasn't *outside* I didn't think in terms of taking necessary steps.

"Bruce W. Calkins" wrote:

> >From moderately chilled and active to moderately chilled and inactive does
> many things to the blood flow.  Probably two or three chapters for a
> synopsis.  The cool blood in the limbs being released by the "warm"
> apartment air giving a core chill.

This is what I *felt* but didn't know how it happened.  I knew *something*
physiological happened  (other than just normal cooling) for me to go from
generating heat to chilled so quickly.  Putting on fleeces and hot chocolate
were the right idea, but I can see now that I should have stripped first.  I
knew to look and feel for damp clothes - but I didn't realize the fibers would
be carrying moisture that I couldn't feel.

Also you probably allowed some "over

> cooling" during your hike.  One of the points of consideration is the
> bloods thickening in a cold environment.  That is fluid the volume is
> reduced, the "water" being eliminated.  Returning to a warm environment you
> need to increase the blood volume.  Winter activity requires that one
> pushes water intake.

Interesting.  The first thing I thought about after I got warm was that maybe
drinking less water that day than usual might have something to do with it.  I
find that generally, all my *systems* work better if I have more water than
most folks drink.  I have learned to push water to deal with heat; now I will
be more watchful in cold.

> Especially when entering a warm up cycle.  Listen to
> your body, and try to anticipate its needs.

I'm good at this one!  It's one of the reasons I'm alive and getting *weller*
every year. :-)

> For warming up, few things can
> beat a good rocking chair by a crank'n wood stove.

I agree -  or, the hot shower.  Although, from my understanding (and Orange Bug
brought it up) if you are really *too* cold, you need to NOT do too much heat
from any source, which would include a hot shower, I expect.

As to how I *should* have dressed, for the weather:

A couple of people suggested I should have been wearing more layers to avoid
getting cold in the first place - and I definitely agree.  I think I should
have worn some kind of insulating layer, with or without the goretex, and then
swapped the goretex for nylon, since there was no dampness or strong wind.  One
person suggested I should have been wearing less, to not sweat.  I don't think
so.  One suggested my winter thor-los probably helped keep me warm, and I don't
doubt it.  Also my nice, new wool toboggan.  I'm learning the hat and gloves
can keep me warm without having to put on heavy layers.

> Black Wolfe
>
> As to hiking alone, (summer or winter).  Few things can beat an outing with
> some good friends.  Few things are worse than a outing with bad friends.
> Learn the risks, choose your level of risk, then accept the consequences if
> any.  Personally my limit for camping out is about zero degrees Fahrenheit.
>  Below that the chores of survival impinge to much on the joys of being
> out.  YMWV  (Your Mileage Will Vary)

Good advice, for sure.  And I love hiking, hiking alone, and especially hiking
in winter (for all the reasons listed on that previous thread).  I'd probably
hike with friends more if I had any friends who liked to hike!! LOL  In the
meantime, I guess I'll just *smart* and keep reading these lists, doing my John
O test runs, and making sure I don't skip *any* safety nets in the woods.

Dave Hicks wrote:

> Right on OB.
>
> It is a lot easier for your partner(s) to spot the 'umbles (mumbles,
> fumbles, bumbles, stumbles) than it is for you to spot them for/in yourself.
>
> On a couple of occasions, I have had folk that were well into the 'umbles
> argue they were OK, when I knew they need help.  One of the best ways to get
> their attention (that I have found) is to challenge them to untie and retie
> their boots/shoes, "OK show me, prove me wrong.  You untie and retie your
> shoes and we'll push on.  If you can't, we're stopping to get you warmed up
> and rehydrated."
>
> Chainsaw

This is a great tip!  And this is one I can do on myself.  Not only should I be
able to think of that, and stop and do it without difficulty, I should be
*willing* to.  I'm well aware there is a catch-22 in this and I have to keep
myself together enough to catch myself *before* I find myself unwilling.  This
is not too foreign to me - I have had to do this in several other areas of my
health.  The discipline is worth it, when the result is you get to stay alive,
function, etc.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments and good advice (which I
won't try to repeat here).  The article Ken Knight referenced is one that got
me thinking on all this, I read it a day or two before I did the test.  I got a
lot out of it.

http://biofilm.eps.montana.edu/~backpacking/winter.htm

Probably the biggest thing I got out of this I'll send along in another
*shorter* post.

Thanks, all!
Delita

--