[at-l] Re: Hiking foods for low blood sugar wheat sensitives long

On 12/29/01 at 2:08 PM, Delita Wright <delita@mindspring.com> wrote:

> FOR MEALS
>
> I am also experimenting with things like instant brown rice (white rice is a
> simple, brown rice a complex carb) and, especially, lentils.  My body *loves*
> lentils - so they must be very good for me.  About any whole grain with any
> legume will make a complete protein, but with not quite enough protein for me.
> They grains and legumes are complex carbs, though.  So my goal is to *supplement*
> those complex carb, complete protein meals with a little extra protein (meat,
> cheese, nuts).

Take a look at the Lumen products. I have gotten them through Adventure Foods
<www.adventurefoods.com>. They've got taste and should be high in protien. While I'm thinking of
Adventure Foods you might want to look at using the BakePacker oven to expand the range of things
you can cook. It really does work quite well, as long as you don't mind not having real crisp
outsides, for baking. I've done all sorts of things in it. Adventure Foods has many pre-packaged
things you can buy, as well as the oven itself, and they also sell a good cookbook for it.

> Ed Garvey had a great recipe in _The New Appalachian_ for Appalachian Trail Mix,
> which can be used in endless combinations, and is extremely well balanced.  It is
> made with : 2 lbs. short grain whole rice, and 1 lb. each lentils and barley.  I
> tried this on my first AT hike and wasn't experienced enough (as a hiker or with
> the food) to get it cooked enough to eat it (mix 1 cup mix with 2 cups water and
> seasonings, and cook 1 hour over low heat in covered container).  It certainly is
> the right idea!  There are many ways to *season* it into different recipes.  I
> keep thinking someday I am going to do all this experimenting and keep good
> records!

I make a potato-lentil soup that sounds like this. I make the soup at home, dehydrate it, and take
it on the trail. It re-hydrates quickly and I can add whatever extra seasonings I want to it. I
beleive Adventure Foods has instant whole potatoes too. Quite Good.

> BREAKFAST
>
>     I don't do well on any packaged breakfast cereals I have found, although I
> sometimes eat bulk, store brand (whole foods grocery) muesli, and *beef it up*
> with extra protein, maybe some more oats, etc.  I also could make my own - just
> like I make my own gorp.  I just go to the bulk foods section and start bagging
> up things I know will balance each other.
>
>     I do well on hot cereals - but not instant oatmeal and not any wheat.  In my
> whole foods grocery they sell bags and my latest favorite is an 8 grain, wheat
> free cereal.  I also buy whole corn grits which are good for any meal, and seem
> not to bother me (although too much corn does - it's very sweet), but the whole
> corn seems to do okay.  I'd still eat it with protein.

You can cook non-instant oatmeal (the kind you buy in the Quaker Oats barrels) on the trail just
fine. Just get the water boiling and put the oatmeal in and let it stand for a while. It works and
the food value is certainly better than the oatmeal you buy in those little packets.

I've not yet tried this one (I will on my next hike in a couple of weeks), but they've gotten some
good reviews <http://www.maggus.com/products_detail/products.html>. I'll try them with dehydrated

> LUNCHES
>     I don't really plan real lunches while hiking as I find I don't want to take
> the time to really *cook.*  Although, if I am starting to fade, sometimes the
> best thing I can do is stop and have a *real meal* for 45 minutes, then I can
> hike refreshed for a few more hours.
>
> One thing that is perfect for this is:
>     *seasoned* instant whole potatoes (potato flakes with skin on, seasoned, like
> *cheese and broccoli*)
>     a little olive oil added
>     eaten with a good quality stick of beef jerky.

Sounds quite good. Where do you get the whole potato flakes you're talking about? I also carry olive
oil though I add it to my dinners instead.

  ** Ken **

ps- I'd probably write more but I have to scurry over to The Ark to set up for our New Years Eve
shows.

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **