[at-l] Speaking of sleeping on cold ground

This is where close cell mats shine. They are cheaper and lighter than
the inflatables. They don't go flat. If your dog eats one, you have
instant sitpads to share with your friends. They have superior R values
per dollar. They are not as comfortable on the first night as an
inflatable, but on night two, a bed of nails sleeps quite well for me.

I carry in warm weather a 3/4 length Thermarest inflatable deflated and
wrapped around the stays of my Kelty Flight. In winter and cold
weather, I carry a huge appearing light very thick Ridgerest (the
Z-rest is torn into chunks). The Ridgerest is rolled up, attached to
the back of the pack using the instep crampon straps. This does not
adversely effect balance - in my experience.

If you are really cheap, I'd go for a 3/4 Z-Rest wrapped around the
stays or smashed between your back and the pack plus a thick Ridgerest.
If it is severely cold, use your backpack as a bottom 1/4 pad for your
legs. You don't have to worry about mice climbing in, as they seem to
freeze to death in such situations (again an experience last March).

You can try the space blanket, but you will never sleep from the
crinkling NOISE! You would still have some conduction heat loss between
you and the ground.

good luck

Bill...